Monday, June 14, 2010

Hold your finish

To make solid contact and drive the ball straight, you have to finish in balance.



In this photo, notice how my weight is on my forward leg. I’m standing on the point of my right toe, my knees are together, the club is framed behind my back, and my belt buckle faces the target. I’m as in balance as it gets.



Although it might seem antithetical to what we often see (and do), to hit the ball far, your goal should not be to swing as hard as you can. It should be to swing as hard as you can and still maintain good balance. Good drivers always finish in a poised, balanced position because they’ve swung within themselves and haven’t compromised their balance for more distance.



I’ve probably had more success with this one simple thought than any other while playing competitive golf. If you don’t believe me, consider that Mike Weir swings through the ball to a balanced finish position and holds that pose for three seconds—on every shot.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment